Sunday, February 24, 2008

Welcome to the 21st Century Kate. It's only taken 8 years or so... And technically - I'm not even there yet!!!


As you may or may not know - my dear, sweet, archaic, fat ole' sucka of a phone took it's leave from our lives on Friday; (okay, so it wasn't that old - just, poorly designed). It unexpectedly fell into a puddle in the Walmart parking lot, and began the struggle for survival shortly thereafter, (as the message on my voicemail may have already told you). Although it put up a good fight and it seemed like the damage was minor at first - we even thought it was going to pull through - but alas, it lost the battle just 3 hours later. We will miss you phone. You saw us through some good times. You never gave me any problems - I could even go as far as to nickname you "Old Reliable", at least as far as signal strength goes. Oh, you'll always have a special place in my heart...
But anyway, needless to say, if you need to get a hold of us, because we don't have a land line - you'll need to call Doug's phone. And we're just going to deal with it - until March 5th. The day we are eligible to get new cell phones without having to pay out-the-freaking-nose. Doug's phone is a huge piece of junk, (MUCH worse than mine, although supposedly nicer and more expensive, thanks to LG), and he's been counting down the seconds until that day anyway. So, in short, it's not a completely devastating loss - although a loss indeed. We'll have to write all about our new phones once we get them. And PS - I'm going to take the opportunity to get on my soap box about my hatred for cell phone companies. If you are a cell phone provider please take note to the following: You are all cheats, and thieves. Although I've liked some of the service that's been provided to me by AT&T, Verizon, Midwest Wireless, and now Alltel - none of you have ever shown me that you cared about anything other than the almighty dollar. And in most cases, unfortunately, most of you have always been nothing less than GREEDY with all your "billing mistakes." Shame on you. And Shame on most of your policies - especially the ones about phone replacement when you're not under warranty. Like I'm going to pay $250 to replace my Nokia candybar just because I don't qualify for the "promotional deal." But [sigh] - they know we can't live without them - those wicked creatures. So, with a heavy heart, I will sign on the dotted line in exchange for my soul... Boo, Hiss.

3 comments:

carlyl said...

I hear you.... They are rotten ole' theives aren't they? What did we ever do without cell phones though? I swear I couldn't make it now. So sad to hear about your phone, although you made me think of the friends with Pheeb's and her cell phone. lol!

Paul said...

I'm so sorry for your loss- You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'll bet I can dig up one of those huge brick cell phones for you if your interested! The funny thing is I think that I actually had that same cell phone at one point.

Jill Bagley said...

When you get a new phone you will laugh at the thought of having that one.
i had my nokia candy bar for three years. that thing was ancient.
i mean, i got different ones with the two year sign on thing, but they were the same phone.
i have a little nokia candy bar ( pretty cute and good condition) if you want it. richard gave it to me and its locked because its from arizona, but if you get it unlocked you wont have to buy a new phone.
let me know and i will send it to ya.
you should get a blackberry pearl ---those are cool. most of my friends dont even have cell phones, and i think its a pain in the but when people DOnt have them now. we cant live with out them. do you guys have cricket up there? they are cool because you can just do month to month and they give you a phone. cheapest option i think.
oh, why dont you get dad to just give you a phone?
im sure he will give you his old razor if you want it.