

These are Ben's latest thing. Worms. I have mentioned it before, but not really emphasized the real PASSION he has for them. He LOVES collecting them. He digs for them, and consequently has gotten our poor 9 and 11 year old neighbor girls and their 5 year old little bro. to join the fun as well,) and names them either "Wormy" or "Jackson" - Jackson is always their middle name. And he finds teeny baby ones and calls them "Adorable". That's a strange definition of adorable if you ask me. I don't know if you can tell, but in that little bucket is probably no less than 20 worms. All with the same name, but they're various relatives to each other. Often he'll find Wormy's mom or dad, or baby brother. It's kind of funny, because in the last few weeks, he's probably killed at least as many worms as are in his bucket right now - and because he insists on keeping them as pets, (isn't it strange that he's such a little BOY?) these ones will undoubtedly die too. It's like one big love-filled worm genocide out here at the Worthington household. His favorite thing is to hold them, while they crawl all over his hands and arms, then he curls them up in a ball in his hand, shake them a little bit - YUCK! (That's usually where they die...)
But while Ben is out celebrating warmth and worms with our next door neighbor boy Jake, (his new best bud.) Poor Spence is inside doing this:
The poor kid has been crying since last night. And if you know his temperament, you know that is SOOOO NOT like him. When I put him to bed last night, I noticed that he had a fever, and he's had it since. I thought he might have an ear infection because he pulled on his ear a little, but I've never seen him like this. He's only been diagnosed with one other ear infection - and that was when I went to a well-check, the doctor looked in his ear and told me he had an infection - but there were NO other symptoms. So, to have him so upset is disturbing. He even woke up in the middle of the night, (which honestly NEVER happens,) and cried for like, an hour. So, I went to the doctor this morning, and sure enough, it's the stupid ear infection. That's the only thing they can figure. I HATE antibiotics though, my kids always get pretty bad diarrhea with it, (well, Ben's never techinically been on anti's - but I had to have them once when I was nursing, and well, there you go - Ben's had diarrhea from them). I sometimes think, "which is worse?" Constant crying, or being up to my ears in poop? Then I remember the boils that the kids get on their bums from the diarrhea, and then of course, there's no contest. Bummer. Literally. Okay, I know that was dumb. Here's to hoping my happy little baby returns soon! And that winter doesn't.
12 comments:
Dumb & Dumber
Poor little Spency. And poor little worms. Boys are boys. It's amazing how natural that is. Link goes around destroying adn yelling and growling.
Poor little Spencer!!!! I hate it when the kids are sick!!! I hope he feels better soon!!!
Michael had a project in school when we first moved out here that involved worms, and at the end of the project he brought home a 2 liter bottle with worms in it that he actually wanted me to keep in the house. I of course said no way they can live on the deck!
Tami
Love the worms. That's hilarious. I'm glad he's made some recruits, too.
We missed you yesterday! Hope to see you soon. :)
your kids are too cute! p.s. my friend made that collage and sent it to me..i have no idea how you do it. Sorry!
You've been tagged. How annoying am I? Go to my blog.
Hey! I've been reading your blog for a little while now, sorry I haven't commented before, but it's fun to see what you guys have been up to! Have you ever tried giving your kids acidophilus at the same time as they are taking antibiotics? It makes a HUGE difference with my kids. Kate had a super horrible resistant ear infection and took three different antibiotics over two months. It made a big difference for her. Sorry, just a little unsolicited tip for ya.
Becky Worthington
Get well Spence! Hang in there Kate.
My boys love worms too, it is great, the spend most of the morning tilling up the garden for me, so nice. Sorry about the sickness, try Braux Butt Paste next time, works great for us. And give him yogart, it helps as well with the diarrhea.
katie, once again i find myself thinking how much you and i live the same life. my boys do the same thing every day, with two neighbor girl recruits, and they call them wormy's and adorable (they learned that one from the neighbor girls)and they collect them and carry them around all day. the only difference is my kids are also obsessed with rolly pollies, (potato bugs). Guess kids will be kids. Also that last pic looks just like a boy sammy jo.
let me just say that the worm thing is NOT exclusive to boys.
ruby is obsessed with worms too. she went through a major phase at that age, but i would not really let her dig for them----she was so fragile at that age, and recovering from all the hoopla.
and she STILL loves them. if i would encourage it, she would be collecting worms. she is really into bugs right now, and we have an infestation of box elder bugs. she catches them and lets them crawl all over her.
about spenc, you know, if they diagnose him one more time with an ear infection, you can get tubes.
i highly reccomend them!!! we have never had to worry about another ear infection again! and we had a lot of them.
poor little guy.
Post a Comment